Holographic TechnologyTo achieve quality 3D real-time holography – realistic and comfortable to view – the images transmitted to the eye must be reduced to the essentials. Wasted information is also wasted image processing and this slows down replication and spoils image quality.
So the breakthrough technology developed by SeeReal banks on highly logical yet keep-it-simple solutions.
First of all, rather than boosting resolutions and intensifying display needs to unbearable levels, SeeReal has introduced Viewing Window technology. This actually limits display needs and corresponding diffraction angles.
The benefit: a much larger display pitch, so for a 40 inch display the pixel size is in the range of at 25 - 50 microns. This is well within today's state-of-the-art.
Second, SeeReal uses its proprietary Sub-hologram technique.
The benefit: smaller encoded hologram areas per scene point, with the shape and size of the sub-hologram closely linked to the 3D scene being viewed (sub-holograms are freely super-positioned, to accurately represent any 3D scene point distribution).
Overall, the combination of these two basic principles means that it only takes today's computing capabilities to create full parallax colour 3D HDTV images in real-time. For example, a 40'' holographic TV would consume only approx 3 TFLOPS.
- 2008-01 Large holographic displays as an alternative to stereoscopic displays (PDF)
- 2008-01 Full-color interactive holographic projection system for large 3D scene reconstruction (PDF)
- 2008-01 Large holographic displays for real-time applications (PDF)
- 2008-01 Capabilities of diffractive optical elements for real-time holographic displays (PDF)
- 2008-05 Eye-Tracking Solutions for Real-Time Holographic 3-D Display (PDF)
- 2008-11 Large Holographic 3D Displays for Tomorrow's TV and Monitors - Solutions, Challenges, and Prospects (PDF)
- 2009-01 Large real-time holographic displays: from prototypes to a consumer product (PDF)
- 2009-09 Holographic 3D Display Solutions (PDF)
- 2009-10 Holographic 3D Displays from SeeReal: Developments, Improvements, Progress (PDF)
- 2010-03 Generation, encoding, and presentation of content on holographic displays in real time (PDF)
- 2010-04 Holographic 3-D Displays - Electro-holography within the Grasp of Commercialization (SCIYO.COM)
- 2010-05 Depth cues in human visual perception and their realization in 3D displays (PDF)
- 2012-01 Head-and Eye-Tracking Solutions for Autostereoscopic and Holographic 3D Displays
- 2012-06 Full-range, complex spatial light modulator for real-time holography (OSA)
- 2012-06 Computational hologram synthesis and representation on spatial light modulators for real-time 3D holographic imaging (PDF)